Saturday, July 18, 2009

Justice Served Cold

Walter Cronkite died yesterday and the media is full of
praise for him. Some of it is deserved. Some of it, in
my opinion, however, is not. He and Robert S.
McNamara, who died on July 6, deserve a huge share
of the blame for our failure in Vietnam.

McNamara deserves blame for his arrogant
micromanagement of the war with the aid and support
of Lyndon B. Johnson. Neither of them knew anything
worth knowing about military tactics or strategy. This
has been hashed over ad nauseum by better qualified critics than I.

Cronkite wrote an opinion piece following the TET Offensive of 1968, saying we were "Mired in stalemate." This was pure nonsense. I know. I was there. We won a huge military victory, but Cronkite and others like him lied to the American people about what was happening and that contributed to our failure there. It gave aid and comfort to the North Vietnamese and the Viet Cong. Why he chose to do this, I don't know. Others who know more about these things have made all kinds of speculation over the years.

What I do know is that he, McNamara, Johnson and others have the blood of thousands of troop on their hands due to their mishandling and misrepresentation of the war.

May justice be served.

This is my opinion and my blog. If you don't like either you are free to move on.

No comments: