Friday, November 28, 2008

Scofflaws

I had to go out this morning to pay some bills and run some other errands, and that required that I travel in many of the heavily travelled areas in town. Traffic was not as bad as I expected on Black Friday, but that was not what caught my attention. At nearly every intersection where I had to stop for a traffic light, there were two, three, or more people running red lights. By this I mean they were continuing through the intersection after the light had turned red. These people don't seem to understand that they are being selfish and discourteous at best and endangering the lives of themselves and everyone around them at worst. No matter what, they're breaking the law. I believe this type of disregard for the law and the safety of others is symptomatic of the general lack of regard for the law so prevalent in our society, and that is also contributing to the win at any cost attitude of many of our politicians and lawmakers these days.

No comments: